Who we are
Marriage, Inc. is a cooperative effort of concerned citizens and organizations from a variety of backgrounds around the Kankakee community. We are bankers, teachers, counselors, doctors, businessmen and business women, pastors, parents and grandparents who care about marriage and the future we are leaving for the next generation.
What we believe
We understand marriage to be a monogamous and heterosexual union — both emotional and physical — that is socially and legally sanctioned, culturally universal, and intended to be permanent across the lifetime of the couple.
Why an organization like Marriage, Inc?
1. Marriage, Inc. is needed due to local trends and concerns.
- A recent demographic survey found that Kankakee County has a higher divorce rate than the national average.
- Local public health official reports that certain STD rates in Kankakee County are nearly double the national average.
- A growing number of children are living in non-traditional households.
In other words, there is work to be done in Kankakee County. Through Marriage, Inc. we are rallying concerned individuals, churches, organizations and community leaders to address local needs. We believe the answer lies not in more tax dollars for community programs, but rather investing in marriage and families. The battle must be won at home.
2. Marriage, Inc. is needed because a united effort is the most effective way to support the institution of marriage. We desire to join forces with other local churches and organizations. The task is too big and the mission too important to fail for lack of coordination and support. There is great value and wisdom in standing together. This is a plea to lay aside differences on other issues and stand together when it comes to supporting marriage in our community.
3. Marriage, Inc. is needed for the sake of the next generation. A host of attempts are being made to redefine marriage and family across this nation. In such a climate our children are increasingly confused and disillusioned. Community leaders must act for the sake of these children and for future generations.